The Ready Set STEM CREATOR Kit comes with both an HDMI cable and an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. This allows the kit to plug into either HDMI or DVI compatible monitors and TVs. To plug the kit into an older (and nowadays less common) analog VGA monitor, you need to use an active HDMI to VGA adapter.
When using an active HDMI to VGA adapter, you may need to adjust the video output to a more suitable resolution. One user has reported using the following steps:
1) Connect to an HDMI monitor. Power on.
2) Once the RDE environment is loaded, press Ctrl-Alt-D to get to the desktop
3) At the top bar of the desktop, click the “LXTerminal” icon to launch a command line
4) At the command prompt, type the following command:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
5) Move down the file to the following lines:
6) Uncomment the lines by deleting the # symbol at the beginning of the line
7) Save the file with Ctrl-X
8) Reboot the Raspberry Pi using the following command:
sudo shutdown -r now
9) The system will reboot and should now be able to be connected to the separate monitors through the active HDMI to VGA adapter.
Some users have reported success using this cable.